For some breeders the objective is to see stock perform in their own colours on the racecourse. For others a more immediate target is the sales ring. Whichever route you chose to take, Ballincurrig is ready to help.
Achieving sales success involves not only breeding the right horse but also presenting it at the right sale in the best possible condition. Remember that an animal that stands out in a weaker sale may well realise more money than if it is consigned to an apparently ‘better’ sale where it does not stand out!
Similarly, an animal that is put on the market at a realistic reserve may well sell for far more than one that has an unrealistic reserve, so that a private sale has to be attempted later. Finally, even the best-bred animal may attract little interest if it is badly presented.
Ballincurrig can help in all of these aspects:
- We are constantly in touch with leading buyers and we attend most of the top sales; so we can advise on which stallions are in demand, which sale is likely to be the right one for your animal and what price range it is likely to reach.
- We are renowned for presenting animals at sales that are in excellent condition and that have been taught to show themselves off to the best of their ability. Foals are walked in hand for 6 weeks before the sale, and are taught to trot. Yearlings and stores are walked in hand and are lunged in rollers and side reins for 6-8 weeks before the sale, developing muscle, ‘top line’ and athleticism. For this purpose we have installed a covered lunging ring, 20 meters in diameter with a rubber and sand base.
- All of the leading buyers make a point of inspecting our consignments, so that your horse is in no danger of remaining ‘anonymous’ even in the largest sale.
All of this gives your horse the best chance of making the maximum price.
However, we always remember that at the end of the day we are talking about your horse. The owner’s decision on whether to sell, where to sell and how much to sell for is paramount. We can tell you what we think and do our best to make the best price we can; but only you can decide if the price is right.
To discuss Sales Preparation, contact Michael Moore.
Leading prices realised by Ballincurrig-consigned animals include:
- NH Stores: 250,000, 235,000, 160,000 euros: 13 horses now sold for in excess of 100,000 euros.
- NH foals or yearlings: 91,000,75,000, 72,000,70,000 euros.
- Flat foals or yearlings: 240,000, 200,000, 160,000, 115,000, 110,000 euros.
Ballincurrig House Stud is regularly the leading consignor by aggregate at major sales of NH Stores and Foals in Ireland, including Tattersalls Derby, Goffs Landrover and Tattersalls November Sales.
Amongst those who have purchased Ballincurrig stock are such experts as Aiden Murphy, John O'Byrne, Highflyer Bloodstock, Bobby O'Ryan, Tim Hyde, David Redvers, Franny Woods, John and Hugh Bleahen, Harold Kirk, Vere Phillips, Jeremy Brummitt, Brian Murphy, Peter Molony, Albert Sherwood, Paul Cashman, Anthony Stroud, John Ferguson, Gill Richardson, Willie Mullins, Jonjo O'Neill, Ginger McCain, Howard Johnson, Tim Easterby, Peter Bowen, Noel Meade, Luca Cumani, Ben Case and Paul Nolan.
Subsequently successful performers sold by Ballincurrig include Captain Chris, On His Own, Somersby, Hi Cloy, Fingal Bay, Horner Woods, Shot From The Hip, Monbeg Dude, Won In The Dark, China Rock, Sizing John, Value At Risk and Tranquil Sea. We also sold Mad Moose - but it wasn't our fault, honestly!